Tuesday 29 January 2013

Fruits and Vegetables

To get the minimum:

1. Aim to have at least 3 servings of fruits by 10 AM.

First serving: I usually keep a container of cut papaya or dragon fruit at the beginning of the week. This should lasts for about 3 mornings, shared with the husband.

Sometimes we'll have cherries or some type of berries, depending on what's available at the market. These are easy fruits because they only require some washing and they're ready to be popped into your mouth.

You don't want to go through a lot of trouble as this is what hinders you from getting your daily intake.

Second serving: I'll peel another type of fruit such as apple or pear for each of us for breakfast.

Third serving: We'll usually have a banana each.

2. Then get a serving of vegetables each at lunch and dinner.

For additional servings:
  • I'd usually try to eat another fruit as mid morning snack. 
  • I like to finish my lunch and dinner with oranges.
If that seems like a lot of work, then blend them and make a smoothie. I do this when I have to rush in the mornings - I have something to enjoy when I'm stuck in the morning traffic. 

What's in my smoothie? 

It usually depends on the type of juice I have in the fridge. When I go grocery shopping I match these with the yogurt that I'll get.

For example:

Orange juice + mango/peach flavored yogurt + banana + papaya 

Berry juice + berry flavored yogurt + banana + blackberries/strawberries

Of course, you can always go with plain yogurt and fruits too, if you really want the healthier option. 






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...